IN STYLE TO THE MYTHICAL WALL
In the second half of the 7th century, the brisk walk of Saint Livinus in Sint-Lievens-Houtem ended. According to a very reliable legend, under his arm he carried his own head, which had been chopped off by pagans many miles earlier. Lamoraal van Egmont suffered the same fate almost a thousand years later, albeit with more premeditation. This count acquired a castle in Zottegem and eventually got his grave there. We tell those and many other histories on our way to the oldest city in the region: Geraardsbergen. We will stay there at a safe distance from Manneken Pis. This bus ride can be combined in advance, afterwards or en route with:
- In the organic goat farm De Volle Maan, they are pampered to the rhythm of nature in such a way that they produce excellent raw milk goat cheese. You will discover how kids are raised in an environmentally friendly way and are allowed on the carousel twice a day (3 euros pp, including 3 tastings).
- The alcohol vapors in the last agricultural distillery in the Benelux. It is a "warm" distillery where the grain for the spirits is still grown on site. The grinding chair is powered by an impressive steam engine (7.5 euros pp, including toddlers).
- An audience with the baron. We drive through a stately beech avenue to the most beautiful Rococo castle in the Flemish Ardennes, where Louis XVIIIde once stayed and where King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola were received. We stroll through salons decorated with Chinese wallpaper and then stroll along the pond in the beautiful French-English park to the rare open-air lover theater (9 euros pp)
- A tasting of the beers from the artisanal brewery Van den Bossche: Lamoral, Pater Lieven, Buffalo or Zatte Rita. Sandwiches and snacks are also available here. You are probably curious about the link between the brewery and… Buffalo Bill (5 euros pp, 2 tastings included).
- A visit to Sint-Martens-Lierde, where a Carthusian order was established between the 14th and 18th centuries, when it was abolished by the Emperor Joseph II.
- A musical tour in the workshop of an instrument maker. You will be introduced to the wonderful world of folk musical instruments and receive an explanation of woodworking techniques (5 euros pp).
- A baking demonstration and tasting at the queen of the mattentaarten (7 euros pp, coffee included). Can be combined with a city walk.
- A climb (on foot or by bus) up to the mythical wall. If you turn around your own axis at the top of the Oudenberg, you can imagine yourself on the roof of the world and enjoy a one-million-dollar view of the Flemish Ardennes.
Put together your own day trip, let us know which stops you would like and we will take care of the organization. Tired of choice stress? Then choose our sample package:
- Reception with coffee and cake in the Tour of Flanders Center
- Visit Ronde exhibition
- City walk in Oudenaarde
- Lunch at the Peloton Café
- Audience with the Baron – castle visit
- Walk through the park of the Baron
- Climb the mythical Wall by bus or on foot
- Closing drink in the Tour of Flanders Center
> Price per person: € 51.50 Not enough time? The program without lunch and a visit to the Ronde expo comes to 23.50 euros per person (including reception with coffee and cake).