TOURS ALONG AND AROUND THE SWIMMING SWALM
Many villages in the Zwalm region bear appetizing names: Dikkele, Rozebeke, Dikkelvenne, Hundelgem, Sint-BlasiusBoekel, Roborst... It is a region in which the lovely Zwalm entwines amorously with a miner's path on which a small forest train once tufted and with a Roman road that once Velzeke linked up with Bavay and now tortures drivers. Beggars and hermits will also receive your group here very hospitably. This bus ride can be combined in advance, afterwards or en route with:
- A guided city walk in historic Oudenaarde
- A visit to the MOU (Oudenaarde and the Flemish Ardennes Museum) in the flourishing town hall: colorful Oudenaarde tapestries in the cloth hall and the striking silver collection, as well as the impressive People's and Aldermen's Hall (2 euros pp).
- The story of the tumultuous history of the beggars in Flanders' only Protestant enclave, from the first protests of Luther and Calvin to the many squabbles between two groups of Christians. Fortunately, you now find yourself in an oasis of peace around a church, a museum and a moody graveyard (3 euros pp; coffee and cake can be served).
- Taste spiced or semi-soft farm cheese and buttermilk in the Sint-Michaëlshoeve, one of the farms where you can buy locally grown products.
- A tour of the Zwalmmolen, where green electricity is produced with millstones, flour and water, or a climb up the Tissenhovemolen, one of the oldest post mills where the miller "grinded" not only grain but also peasant women.
- Filling baskets in the farm 't Alkenveld. You can first taste palatable and high-quality regional products and then purchase them in the farm shop.
- A walk around the archaeological site in Ename, a thousand years ago the border between Flanders and the German Empire.
- A stopover in the pilgrimage town of Kerselare and the brutalist chapel dedicated to Our Lady. A “crocodile” hangs next to her statue! • A visit to the Mariakluizen monastery, a farm that was converted into a church and Coptic chapel by the very amiable Bishop-Brother Yvan. Really special. Price: (2 euros pp)
Put together your own day trip, let us know which stops you would like and we will take care of the organization. Tired of choice stress? Then choose our sample package:
- Reception with coffee and cake in the Tour of Flanders Center
- Visit Ronde exhibition
- Visit to the MOU
- Lunch at the Peloton Café
- Bus tour 'tours along and around the winding Zwalm' including: A visit to the Zwalm mill – A visit to the Geuzenhoek in Korsele – including coffee and cake – A visit to the pilgrimage town of Kerselare
- Closing drink in the Tour of Flanders Center
> Price per person: € 52.00 Not enough time? The program without lunch and visit to the Ro.